Our beloved Chef Genie knows how to make many award winning, amazing meals, but everyone's favorite is always Mac & Cheese! Check out the recipe below and head over to Amazon where you can buy our Rainbow In My Tummy Cookbook!
8 oz whole wheat elbow macaroni noodles
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon mustard, dry
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk, 1% or skim
2.5 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup parmesan chees, shredded
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, In large pot, bring water to a boil and cook pasta, Drain and set aside.
2. In large saucepan (or skillet), melt butter and then add flour and dry mustard to make a roux. Stir until incorporated, about 3 minutes. Do not brown!
3. In saucepan or in the microwave, heat milk until it is warm. Slowly add heated milk to flour mixture, whisking continuously. Cook until smooth and thickened (10-15 minutes) or until the raw flour taste is cooked out.
4. Whisk the cheeses unto the sauce a little at a time to prevent clumping. Stir over low heat until cheese is fully melted.
5. Combine macaroni and sauce and mix well. Place mac and cheese mixture into a deep 8" by 8" pan which has been lightly coated with pan release spray. Bake for 30 minutes, then sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake for another 10 minutes or until top becomes golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Makes about 8 servings. Serving size: 3/4 to 1 cup.